Renier Botha MIoD MBCS CITP FCMI
A highly successful, energetic and results-driven Change Professional and Technology Consultant bringing enthusiasm and direction to his teams to deliver demonstrable performance improvement, high quality, customer satisfaction and business growth.
- Change Professional – Motivated, results-driven and commercially astute change professional, well experienced to lead the design and execution of organisational change & business transformation programmes, developing and executing strategies to improve and better align business value chain operations with customer needs in an evolving digital world. Influence, set strategic direction, develop and execute portfolios of change programmes – especially in organisations requiring more agility, undergoing internal change, merging, expanding or growing through acquisitions. Instrumental in aligning delivery strategy with business vision.
- Delivery & Quality Focused – A proven track record in quality target delivery involving initiatives covering portfolios of business and product development, implementation, integration, IT infrastructure, service design and operations, programme management and business/digital transformation.
- Chartered IT Professional – Bringing 20+ years’ experience in the Information Services (IS) industry, spanning across multiple international market sectors, directing technology companies and teams delivering product development (software & hardware), infrastructure, programme and project management, and IT service operations of the highest quality.
- Consultant – Advising CxOs, Boards and Entrepreneurs in supporting start-up to enterprises (FTSE listed) in integrating technology innovation into their mainstream revenue channels promoting business growth. Experienced in small and medium enterprise (SME) companies adding value in formulating and prioritising visionary business & technology strategies including: mergers & acquisition, major capital projects, profit enhancement, governance, compliance, risk management, business & organisation development and business re-engineering with an in-depth understanding of Information Technology and Digital Transformation.
- Leader of People – Proven energetic leadership skills in leading, directing, developing, motivating, coaching, empowering and involving people and teams of up to 190 individuals in achieving their objectives and business goals.
|SKILLS & EXPERTISE:|
|RECENT ASSIGNMENTS, PROJECTS & ACHIEVEMENTS:|
- Digital Transformation (2017): Developeda service orientated Target Operating Model (TOM) for SPHERE and introduced and implemented “ServiceNow” as the supporting Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) and operations toolset servicing more than 10,000 end-users. This digital transformation further increased SPHERE’s IT Service Management maturity while delivering the associated five-year £2.4M NPV saving in operational cost, a ROI of 493% (288% IRR).
- Software Defined Data Centre (2017): Developed the successful business case for the implementation of a software defined data centre and the migration from existing premises to significantly reduce the risk of service disruption and data loss. The financial case delivered a five-year saving of £261K NPV, ROI of 161%, IRR of 47% and payback in month 22.
- Strategy & Business Plan Development (2015-17): Compiled and executed the first 2 years of a six-year strategic business plan with clear annual investment and service delivery milestones to grow the business from a start-up to an established medium sized enterprise – increasing revenue by 42% and assets with 700% and revenue by 42%.
- Windows 10 deployment (2016-17): Directed the upgrade and replacement of 10000+ end user devices across 3 NHS Trusts to Windows 7 and Windows 10.
- M&As (2016-17): Planned & Executed the merger two NHS trusts initiative. Directed a full IT due-diligence exercise to drive the remediation and integration project scope. Incorporated the IT infrastructure and delivered shared IT Services as IT business transformation and key service improvement initiatives that grew the Service Provider Revenue by 42%. This growth delivers a 280% ROI (£3.1M) in 2017 which secures the path for an 1149% ROI (£12.6M) over the six-year strategic plan. Read the M&A Case Study.
- EMC VXRail & ECS Deployment (2016): Directed the projects to deployment the scalable VXRail virtualised hosting platform and the Dell EMC Elastic Cloud Solution enabling software-defined object storage, enhancing the storage service provision and system hosting and compute capabilities of SPHERE.
- VMWare NSX extension to Software Defined Data Centre (2017): Developed the successful business case for the deployment of NSX, the network virtualisation and security platform from VMWARE. The financial case delivered a five year saving of £89K NPV, ROI of 88%, IRR of 28% and payback in month 31.
- IP Network Remediation & WiFi Deployment (2016): Directed the project implementing 4 core and 40 edge switches replacing the aged network infrastructure of a NHS Foundation Trust. Deployed a WiFi infrastructure to cover all operational areas within two NHS Foundation Trusts with a guest and corporate network.
- Performance Management (2016-17): Defined a KPI (Cost per IT User) demonstrating the value proposition of IT to the business and its clients’ operations. Developed and Executed the strategic business plan delivering an 11% reduction in the Cost per IT User in 2016 and a further 13% reduction in 2017, exceeding the set business success target KPI by 10%.
- IT Service & Catalogue Development: (2016-17): Developed a commercial Service Catalogue that was successfully used by SPHERE to win a bid to deliver shared IT services worth up to £10M.
- ERP Deployment & Integration (2014): Directed the delivery of a £7M Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) System. The programme consisted of 32 projects and work-streams, integrating the “Oracle Sales Cloud” into the Regus global-systems estate.
- Loyalty Product Development (2013-14): Directed the technology development team that delivered a functional first version data driven loyalty system within 10 development weeks to secure stock exchange shareholder support, for an American airline. The team delivered the full loyalty system ahead of schedule and within $2.4 million budget.
- Business Design/Engineering (2015): Through efficient modelling of the technology requirements into a service oriented delivery model within the FTSE250 enterprise estate of Regus, developed a business transformation programme that accomplished an annual saving of £3.6M.
- Business Transformation (2014): Executed the business transformation project redefining the business model. This repositioned the core business focus and reduced the company liabilities by 12.5%.
- Start-Up Operations Model & Product Development (2013-15): Directed the development teams to deliver a first version of an e-commerce website for the “OpenStageIt” start-up company while developing an operations-model for business governance.
- Business Transformation (2012-13): Designed and implemented a transformation strategy focused on Service Oriented Architecture (SOA) as the foundation of IT centralisation in the Group and the formation of a new Technology Services Company. With full P&L accountability for Collinson Technology Services (CTS), achieved budgeted financial targets (set 5% lower than previous running costs) for the company’s first financial year (ending April ’13) – circa £15 million budget.
- Product Development (2008-2010): Introduced Software as a Service (SaaS) and Private Cloud technologies to Collinson Group. Evolved the TLS (The Loyalty Solution) product to be delivered as a SaaS solution, resulting in six successful sales – converting business development opportunities into new clients securing recurring revenue across Collinson Group companies.
- Product Deployments (2008-13): Directing the product customisation & configuration development, deployment, business integration and support services of enterprise level IT programmes for a portfolio of 14 global client accounts including Technology Provider channels, Hospitality Brands, Airlines, Beauty and Cosmetics Brands, Retail chains, Insurance, Travel clubs and Car Rental companies that increased customer acquisition, optimization and retention. Read the Case Studies.
- Business Transformation (2008-09): Developed and executed a transformation strategy in aligning operations and program management with financial goals – establishing commercial awareness in all employees. The strategy covered Business Process Re-engineering (BPR) aligning the business services including marketing, sales, product development, solution deployment and support using best practices of ITIL, PMI and ISO9001. This resulted in an average 30% year on year company bottom line improvement, for three consecutive financial years.
- Off-Shoaring & Resourcing Frameworks (2009-10): Negotiated contracts and introduced off-shore software development partners supporting the business in resource flexibility and the reduction of software development and support costs by approximately 25% per annum.
- Infrastructure Virtualisation (2010): Introduced hardware virtualization into the Group IT estate and directed the migration of the datacentre infrastructure resulting in a reduction of total cost of ownership by 45% (£450,000).
- Business Deployment (2001-2006): Developed a modular Target Operating Model for technical operations and successfully used it to establish technical and IT departments for CFS-International in eleven countries.
- Product Development (2001-2008): Acknowledged as Reporting Services pioneer as General Manager (Technical) of CFS-South Africa, the first company that commercially implemented the Microsoft SQL Reporting Services platform – published Microsoft TechNet magazine.e. This product won the Industrial Innovation Award – Article published Engineering News Oct 2004.
- IT Service Centralisation (2000): Centralised the VWV Group IT function into a single IT department functioning from Head Office delivering service to the six member companies, reducing technology operational cost by 40%.
- Product & Service Development (1999): Engineered and released five new products in one year for Message Link in South Africa, including Cellpager, Beep@mail, NotaBene, Flexi-Messaging and Virtual Secretary.
|EXPERIENCE / CAREER HISTORY:|
2013 – Present: Consultant and Director, renierbotha Ltd
renierbotha Ltd delivers consultancy excellence in providing Leadership and Direction, Innovation and Integration or Products and Services through industry proven delivery methodologies and governance, to improve customer retention and increase business revenue – a winning business proposition.
Assignments & Clients include:
- Chartered Management Institute (CMI) – Mentor (Dec 2015 – Present)
- Intuitus – CxO Consultant (Aug 2014 – Present)
- Amberlight – Board Advisor & CxO Consultant (Feb 2015 – Nov 2015)
- The Regus Group – Global Head of Systems and Professional Services (Jan 2015 – Apr 2015)
- The Regus Group – Global Head of Systems & Software Development Direction (Nov 2014 – Jan 2015)
- Regus – Enterprise Platform Programme & Change Management (Aug 2014 – Nov 2014)
- Freshbyte Incorporated – Board Advisor (Jul 2013 – 2015)
- Allegiant Air – Interim Head of Loyalty Programmes (Oct 2013 – May 2014)
- Lola Enterprises & Cloud Troopers – Interim Head of Programmes (Oct 2013 – May 2014)
- Gigstarter Ltd (OpenStageIt) – Non Executive Director (NED) Operations (Jun 2013 – Sep 2014)
2014 – Present: CxO Consultant, Intuitus
Intuitus is widely acknowledged as the leading provider of independent, expert technology and IT advice to the European private equity sector. Intuitus provides a range of strategic and operational technology / IT improvement services to companies that are typically, although not exclusively, backed by private equity. We can deploy relevant experts, as part of a managed service, to lead or support the implementation of change. This is often driven by a new investment and corresponding growth agenda, or by the continued evolution of the business to the point that existing technology or IT operations need to be redirected or enhanced and where the (portfolio) company does not have the required in-house expertise or bandwidth to make this happen.
2015 – 2017: Managing Director & Head of Service, Systems Powering Healthcare Ltd, SPHERE
SPHERE is a £10M turnover, IT specialist organisation, employing 75 staff delivering core IT infrastructure and shared services to more than 10,000 healthcare workers the NHS.
Clients include: Chelsea & Westminster Hospital NHS Foundation Trust; Royal Marsden NHS Foundation Trust; West-Middlesex University Hospital NHS Trust; The Royal Marsden Community Services (Sutton and Merton Community Services); ICR – Institute for Cancer Research; RM Partners – Accountable Cancer Network
2015: Chief Executive Officer, Amberlight
Amberlight is an user experience (UX) research, design and engineering consultancy. It assists organisations around the world to build outstanding high-tech products and services, by generating deep insights into user behavior – creating user-centered designs based on user research and by usability tests that ensure usable and persuasive designs. £1.5M turnover, 25 employees
Clients include: Disney, BBC, EE, MARS, Microsoft, Sky, Vodafone, Hotels.com, and others.
2014 – 2015: Global Head of Systems and Professional Services, Regus
Regus is the world’s largest (FTSE 250, £2.3B turnover) provider of flexible workspaces: offices, virtual offices, business lounges and more.
2008 – 2013: Group Technology Director (CIO), Collinson Group & CTS
Collinson Group is a global organisation that uses data, customer insight and marketing expertise for the benefit of its companies, clients and their customers. The Collinson Group is a holding company with four core divisions: International Membership & Travel Clubs, Marketing Services, Insurance and Group R&D and Proprietary Products and operates from 24 global locations. Turnover of £350M with 3000-3500 employees.
CTS, the Technology Service Delivery company responsible for the Software Product Development, Solution Implementation and Integration, Infrastructure, Solution Hosting and Live Service Delivery to clients and customers across all four divisions of Collinson Group. £15M turnover and 150-200 employees.
Clients Include: ICLP, Vivid Lime, Cogent Analytics, Collinson Latitude, Collinson Insurance Group, Columbus Insurance, Priority Travel Group, Intel, Intercontinental Hotel Group, Global Hotel Alliance, NH-Hoteles (Spain), Guoman-Thistle Hotels, Global Blue, ABG, Avis, L’Oreal, Kempinski Hotels, Brussel’s Air, Portugal Air, Croatia Air, Delta Airlines, Flying Blue (Air France), Cathay Pacific, Harrods, Brown Thomas and others…
2008-2012: General Manager, Global Marketing Software (GMS) & Global Technology Director, ICLP & Vivid Lime (part of Collinson Group)
GMS is an IT company (Software Development House) designing and developing loyalty program software and provide technology services for the Marketing Service division of The Collinson Group
ICLP are leaders in loyalty and experts in designing and delivering competing loyalty propositions that create more profitable customers to brands.
Vivid Lime is a digital agency supporting clients in building the optimum digital interaction with their users.
2001 – 2008: General Manager & Technical Director, Board Director, CFS-International (CFS)
CFS develops and supplies products to make it easy for any business to gather real time experience feedback from their customers and colleagues. This in turn operationalise the management of the customer experience. (150-200 employees)
Clients include: Airlines – Air France, SAA; Banking – Barclays, HSBC, Nation Wide, ABSA, Nedbank; Retail – Ingostrakh, Tesco, Sainsburys, Marks & Spencer; Healthcare – NHS, PHG, Pruhealth, Netcare, Specsavers; Hospitality – Hotel and Catering – Aramark, Rainbow; Communication – Carphone Warehouse, Beeline, Telkom, Vodacom, CellC, M-Tel; Automotive – BMW
Further detail on responsibilities, functions and work experience pre-2001 can be provided on request.
|QUALIFICATIONS & TRAINING:|
- Company Direction – Institute of Directors (IoD) (2015-2017)
- Chartered Information Technology Professional (CITP) – British Computer Society (2007)
- National Diploma in Electronic Engineering (with distinction) – Pretoria College of Engineering (1994-1996)
- Eng Electronic and Computer Engineering (3yr) – University of Pretoria (1989-1993)
- Project Management – George Washington University – School of Business and Public Management (2000)
- Diploma in Business Management – Career Development College of SA (1999)
Further detail on training can be provided on request.
- Institute of Directors (IoD) – Professional Member
- Chartered Management Institute (CMI) – Fellow of CMI (FCMI)
- British Computer Society (BCS) – Chartered IT Professional (CITP)
|INTERESTS / SPORT / HOBBIES:|
Motor Cycle Adventures – @inthesaddle2 & http://www.inthesaddle.me, 4×4 Adventures – @RYB4x4, Archery, Golf, Technology, Photography, Outdoors, Writing, Blogging