Renier Botha MIoD MBCS CITP FCMI
A highly successful, energetic and results-driven Senior Executive and Board Director bringing enthusiasm and vision to his teams delivering demonstrable performance, quality and business growth.
- Business Leader – Motivated, results-driven and commercially astute business and technology leader with experience in roles as Managing Director (MD), Chief Executive Officer (CEO), General Manager (GM), Chief Operations Officer (COO), Chief Information Officer (CIO), Technology/Operations/Programme Director, Non-Executive Director (NED).
- Leader of People – Proven energetic leadership skills in leading, directing, developing, motivating, coaching, empowering and involving people and teams of up to 190 individuals in achieving their objectives and business goals.
- Chartered IT Professional – Bringing 20+ years’ experience in the Information Services (IS) industry, spanning across multiple international market sectors, directing technology companies and teams delivering product development (software & hardware), infrastructure, programme and project management, and IT service operations of the highest quality.
- Change Professional – Able to lead the design and execution of organisational change & business transformation programmes, developing and executing strategies to improve and better align business value chain operations with customer needs in an evolving digital world. Influence, set strategic direction, develop and execute change programmes – especially in organisations requiring more agility, undergoing internal change, merging, expanding or growing through acquisitions. Instrumental in aligning delivery strategy with business vision.
- Delivery & Quality Focused – A proven track record in quality target delivery involving initiatives covering portfolios of business and product development, implementation, integration, infrastructure, service design and operations, IT programme management and business/digital transformation.
- Consultant – Advising CxOs, Boards and Entrepreneurs in supporting start-up to enterprises (FTSE listed) in integrating technology innovation into their mainstream revenue channels promoting business growth.
- Board Director – Experienced in small and medium enterprise (SME) companies adding value in formulating and prioritising visionary business & technology strategies including: mergers & acquisition, major capital projects, profit enhancement, governance, compliance, risk management, business & organisation development and business re-engineering with an in-depth understanding of Information Technology and Digital Transformation.
|SKILLS & EXPERTISE:|
|RECENT ACHIEVEMENT HIGHLIGHTS:|
- Led Systems Powering Healthcare Ltd (SPHERE) from a Start-Up (2015) to an established Medium Sized Enterprise (2017). Developed a six year strategic business plan and executed the first two years to achieve a ROI of 280% (82% IRR, £3.1M NPV) in 2017 which secures the path for an 1149% ROI (£12.6M NPV) over the six-year strategic period. Achieved a revenue growth of 42% and a 700% increase in assets.
- As consultant, advised the CIO and COO of Regus on technology driven innovation and business transformation initiatives. Developed an IT Department transformation plan, which through efficient modelling of the technology requirements and demands into a service oriented organisational model, accomplished an annual operational saving of £3.6M.
- In 2014, directed and programme managed the £7M Oracle Sales Cloud programme, deploying and integrating the Enterprise Resource Planning & Client Relations Management (ERP & CRM) solutions, replacing legacy Regus systems. The programme consisted of 32 projects and work-streams.
- Directed the technology product development team to develop a functional first version customer loyalty system for Allegiant Airlines within 10 development weeks to secure critical stock exchange & shareholder support in 2013.
- Designed and implemented a transformation strategy focused on Service Oriented Architecture (SOA) as the foundation of IT centralisation in the Collinson Group establishing Collinson Technology Services (CTS). With full P&L accountability for Collinson Technology Services (CTS), achieved budgeted financial targets (set 5% lower than previous running costs) for the newly established company’s first financial year (ending April ’13) – circa £15 million budget.
|EXPERIENCE / CAREER HISTORY:|
2015 – 2017: Managing Director & Head of Service, Systems Powering Healthcare Ltd, SPHERE
SPHERE is a £10M turnover, IT specialist organisation, employing 75 staff delivering core IT infrastructure and shared services to more than 10,000 healthcare workers in the NHS.
- 2017 – Developed a service orientated Target Operating Model (TOM) for SPHERE and introduced and implemented “ServiceNow” as the supporting Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) and operations toolset servicing more than 10,000 end-users. This digital transformation further increased SPHERE’s IT Service Management maturity while delivering the associated five-year £2.4M NPV saving in operational cost, ROI of 493% (288% IRR).
- 2016-17 – Compiled a six-year strategic business plan for SPHERE with clear annual investment and service delivery milestones. Executed the plan and grew the business from a start-up to an established medium sized enterprise, achieving the third year’s targets at the end of the second financial year, increasing assets with 700%.
- Through M&A, business transformation and key service improvement initiatives (as per strategy) grew SPHERE’s Revenue by 42%. This growth delivered a 280% ROI (82% IRR, £3.1M NPV) in 2017 which secures the path for an 1149% ROI (£12.6M NPV) over the six-year strategic plan. Read the M&A Case Study.
- Defined “Cost per IT User” as a Key Performance Indicator (KPI), demonstrating the value proposition of SPHERE’s IT services to its shareholders and clients. Executed the strategic business plan delivering an 11% reduction in the Cost per IT User in 2016 and a further 13% reduction in 2017, exceeding the set business success target KPI by 10%.
- Developed the commercial Service Catalogue that was successfully used by SPHERE to win a tender bid to become an IT Service Provider delivering shared IT services to Northumbria Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust worth up to £10M.
- Through promoting a commercially aware, customer centric and people focused business culture, built a high performing, involved and empowered team – resulting in staff retention increasing from 82% at the beginning of 2016 to 99.8% at the end of 2017.
Clients include: 3 Prominent London NHS Trusts & Community Services, Institute of Cancer Research (ICR), RM Partners.
2015: Chief Executive Officer, Amberlight
Amberlight is an user experience (UX) research, design and engineering consultancy. It assists organisations around the world to build outstanding high-tech products and services, by generating deep insights into user behavior – creating user-centered designs based on user research and by usability tests that ensure usable and persuasive designs. £1.5M turnover, 25 employees
- Compiled and executed the business plan transforming the business model, which repositioned Amberlight’s core business focus (pivoting the business), and reduced the company liabilities by 12.5%.
Clients include: Disney, BBC, EE, MARS, Microsoft, Sky, Vodafone, Hotels.com, and others.
2014 – 2015: Global Head of Systems and Professional Services, Regus
Regus is the world’s largest (FTSE 250, £2.3B turnover) provider of flexible workspaces: offices, virtual offices, business lounges and more. Technology team of 105 resources.
- 2015 – Developed an IT Department transformation plan, which through efficient modelling of the technology requirements into a service oriented delivery model accomplished an annual operational saving of £3.6M.
- 2014 – Directed and programme managed the £7M Oracle Sales Cloud programme, deploying and integrating the Enterprise Resource Planning & Client Relations Management (ERP & CRM) solutions, replacing legacy systems. The programme consisted of 32 projects and work-streams, integrating the “Oracle Sales Cloud” into the Regus global-systems estate.
2013 – 2014: Programme & Product Director, Lola Tech & Cloud Troopers
Lola is a company on a mission: to bring awesome software to the global travel industry through unconventional brilliance. We excel in building and improving travel systems to increase uptime and conversion.
- Directed the technology product development team that delivered the customer loyalty system for Allegiant Airlines – $2.4M budget. A Functional first version was delivered within 10 development weeks to secure critical stock exchange & shareholder support. Read the Case Study.
Client: Allegiant Airlines
2008 – 2013: Group Technology Director (CIO), Collinson Group & CTS; General Manager, Global Marketing Software (GMS) & Global Technology Director, ICLP & Vivid Lime (part of Collinson Group)
Collinson Group is a global organisation that uses data, customer insight and marketing expertise for the benefit of its companies, clients and their customers. The Collinson Group is a holding company with four core divisions: International Membership & Travel Clubs, Marketing Services, Insurance and Group R&D and Proprietary Products and operates from 24 global locations. Turnover of £350M with 3000-3500 employees.
CTS, the Technology Service Delivery company responsible for the Software Product Development, Solution Implementation and Integration, Infrastructure, Solution Hosting and Live Service Delivery to clients and customers across all four divisions of Collinson Group. £15M turnover and 150-200 employees.
GMS is an IT company (Software Development House), designing and developing loyalty program software and provide technology services for the Marketing Service division of The Collinson Group.
ICLP are leaders in loyalty and experts in designing and delivering competing loyalty propositions that create more profitable customers to brands.
Vivid Lime is a digital agency supporting clients in building the optimum digital interaction with their users.
- 2011-13– Designed and implemented a transformation strategy focused on Service Oriented Architecture (SOA) as the foundation of IT centralisation in the Collinson Group establishing Collinson Technology Services (CTS). With full P&L accountability for Collinson Technology Services (CTS), achieved budgeted financial targets (set 5% lower than previous running costs) for the company’s first financial year (ending April ’13) – circa £15 million budget.
- 2011 – By focusing on engaging people, achieved the highest staff retention rate of all companies within Collinson Group as General Manager of GMS for three consecutive years.
- 2010-13 – Introduced Agile software development methodologies to the non-technology businesses within Collinson Group (ICLP, Vivid Lime & Cogent Analytics) increasing business stakeholders involvement in the software product development cycle improving technology/business integration and better performing business teams.
- 2010 – Negotiated contracts and introduced offshore & outsourced software development partners to Collinson Group introducing resource flexibility and the reducing the software development and support costs by approximately 25% per annum.
- 2010 – Introduced hardware virtualization into Collinson Group IT estate and directed the migration of the datacenter infrastructure from Colt to Telstra resulting in a reduction of total cost of ownership by 45% (£450,000) per annum.
- 2009-11 – Introduced Software as a Service (SaaS) and Private Cloud technologies to Collinson Group. Evolved the TLS (The Loyalty Solution) product to be delivered as a SaaS solution, resulting in six successful sales – converting business development opportunities into new clients securing recurring revenue across Collinson Group companies.
- 2009-10 – Global Marketing Software (GMS) Transformation: Through flexible resourcing and business process engineering, improved the bottom line of GMS with £1.5m in the first financial year as the General Manager.
- 2008-13 – Directed the product development, delivery, business integration and support services of enterprise level IT programmes for a portfolio of 14 global client accounts for Collinson Group including Technology Provider channels, Hospitality Brands, Airlines, Beauty and Cosmetics Brands, Retail chains, Insurance, Travel clubs and Car Rental companies that increased customer acquisition, optimization and retention. Read the Case Studies.
- 2008-11 – Developed and executed a transformation strategy for Global Marketing Software (GMS), aligning IT operations and programme management with financial goals – establishing commercial awareness in the IT teams. The strategy covered Business Process Re-engineering (BPR) aligning the business services including marketing, sales, product development, solution deployment and support services using best practices of ITIL, PMI and ISO9001. This resulted in an average 30% profit improvement, for three consecutive financial years.
Clients include: Columbus Insurance, Travel Pass, Intel, IHG, Avis, L’Oreal, Cathay Pacific, Flying Blue, Harrods others.
2001 – 2008: General Manager & Technical Director, Board Director, CFS-International & Europe
CFS develops and supplies products to make it easy for any business to gather real time experience feedback from their customers and colleagues. This in turn operationalise the management of the customer experience. (150-200 employees)
- 2004 – Acknowledged Reporting Services pioneer as General Manager (Technical) of CFS-South Africa, the first company that commercially implemented the Microsoft SQL Reporting Services platform – published in Microsoft TechNet magazine.
- 2004 – Winner of the Industrial Innovation Award of the Department of Trade and Industry in South Africa for the innovative CFS Version 2 Service “Tracka” product development – Article published Engineering News Oct 2004.
- 2001-06 – Successfully established technical production and IT departments for CFS-International in eleven countries.
Clients include: HSBC, Tesco, Sainsburys, M&S, Specsavers, BMW, Carphone Warehouse and others.
2000 – 2001: Group IT Manager, VWV Group
1999 – 2000: Head IT Product Development and Engineering, MessageLink (Autopage & Radiospoor)
1997 – 1999: Computer Support Engineer & Systems Administrator, Technicare
1997 – 2005: Entrepreneur, Principal & Lecturer, Mega Stores Group, CDC, RYB, Greenpoint
1988 – 1997: Wing Commander – Biomedical & Planning Office, South African National Defense Force
|QUALIFICATIONS & TRAINING:|
- Company Direction – Institute of Directors (IoD) (2015-2017)
- Chartered Information Technology Professional (CITP) – British Computer Society (2007)
- National Diploma in Electronic Engineering (with distinction) – Pretoria College of Engineering (1994-1996)
- Eng Electronic and Computer Engineering (3yr) – University of Pretoria (1989-1993)
- Project Management – George Washington University – School of Business and Public Management (2000)
- Diploma in Business Management – Career Development College of SA (1999)
- Institute of Directors (IoD) – Professional Member
- Chartered Management Institute (CMI) – Fellow of CMI (FCMI)
- British Computer Society (BCS) – Chartered IT Professional (CITP)
- Non Executive Director’s Club – Financial Times
|INTERESTS / SPORT / HOBBIES:|
Thought Leadership, Digital Transformation, Motor Cycle Adventures – @inthesaddle2 & http://www.inthesaddle.me, 4×4 Adventures – @RYB4x4, Archery, Golf, Technology, Photography, Outdoors, Writing, Blogging – https://renierbotha.com/blog/